Thursday 21 July 2011

WHAT ARE WE ENCOURAGING IN OUR FASHION INDUSTRY?

I just started following the Nigerian fashion industry and as much as I love it this is what I have noticed.

We are celebrating and encouraging mediocrity.

 With all the Nigerian designers ( and I use the word loosly) scampering to put a high value on their clothes which are sub par at best, poorly finished garments being shown on the runway, and being sold as well, it's just ridiculous ( no one in their right mind is going to buy them when we have tailors).

And what has happened to creativity? Fashion is an art form, a means of expression. You are only a designer if you create not if you pirate.

We should not be scared to express ourselves as Nigerian (and I don't mean by just using ankara).

There are a few people that are constantly trying to reinvent their brand while still  maintaining their signature. LDA, Deola Sagoe in my opinion are the 2 most exciting designers in Nigeria. JBL is great as well in her execution and finishing.

The other"designers" terribly fall short.

We need to push ourselves harder in order to create a market for this industry in our country. There are over 150 million people in this country and less than 1% of the population subscribes to the Nigerian fashion industry.

How about something for our weather like stylish rain coats, umbrellas, and boots for the rainy season?
How about cardies and light jackets for when it gets a little chilly?

Please let me know your thoughts on the Nigerian fashion industry.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting point of view. The fashion industry in Nigeria is still developing, it's at it earliest stage, lots of people will venture in but the industry will weed out substandard designers. we need a little patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.

    I'm Haitian and from the South Florida area. I worked alongside a female Haitian fashion designer for a show in Little Haiti, Miami. I was surprised at how she was 1 of only a handful of developed designers, especially coming from a country/island so colorful and rich in culture.

    I do feel as though more time is needed for some countries to develop in their expansion in fashion. I can not wait until the impact of these designers take place in the fashion world.

    Nice post!

    xo,

    Soraya, FWB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait either ... As a people we have so much to offer this industry.

    ReplyDelete